HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:16:15 -0500
Tino, you crack me up.  Big time.  Anybody who sends in his laptop for
repair, anywhere, had better have a backup.  I don't care if it's just
because there is a screw missing or a keyboard that sticks, the HDD is bound
to be reformatted.  But that is beside the point.  You claim to work in IT
and yet you use a laptop without ever doing a backup.  How can that be?
Laptops are amongst the most fragile things in the known universe.  They are
also the object of desire of thieves and they do not subscribe to the
universal law of gravitation, or rather, they over-subscribe to it, heavily.
:)  I have just had the tremendous pleasure of replacing the HDD in my
laptop.  Returning from a recent trip, the 48GB drive went haywire, happily
scrambling the directory and writing over selected files.  I could hear the
heart-breaking snick-snick-snick of the drive when reading a file.  Finally,
the drive just gave up and I got the most frightening messages coming up
while booting Windows 2000:  Can't find NTOSKRNL.  The drive was toast!

Thankfully, I had backups out the ying-yang.  It took longer to get a
replacement disk drive (20 elapsed hours) than it did loading the system and
restoring the data.  A very helpful colleague on this list suggested that
you did not have 15GB of data to backup.  A suggestion that you simply blew
away.  What he meant to say was simply that your disk drive did not contain
15GB of your USER data.  As with the VAST majority of laptops and desktops,
the lion's share of the bits on the drive come directly from a series of CD
and/or downloads.  Your data, your documents and spreadsheets, your emails
and you JPEGs make up only a fraction of the data on your drive and that is
what you really need to backup.  That is the irreplaceable data.  If instead
of railing at HP, you took a few minutes to figure out that with a CD-R, you
could backup your personal data to one or perhaps two CD-R blanks, you would
do yourself (and us) a tremendous favor.

Several other people suggested great strategies for backups.  Some of them
were elaborate.  I submit to you that you only need a CD-RW.  Some XE3
models have a DVD/CD-RW drive built-in.  But these are the more expensive
models.  Knowing you, you probably bought the F3466 model, the one with the
Celeron processor, the CD-ROM drive and the NiMH battery.  It doesn't look
like you can upgrade the optical drive after the fact.  I know very little
about the HP laptops, except that I like my Compaq Armada.  At any rate, you
can buy an external USB CD-RW device for a miserable $150 to $200 and get
CD-R blanks for 0.40 a pop.  Yes, I pay more, because I get the quality
blanks.  My data is worth it.

I am a great fan of Plextor products and I would recommend the Plexwriter
24/10/40U ( http://www.plextor.com/english/products/24_10_40u.html (they
have pictures there for you) ) ($199 street price) as the device you want.
And again, do spend a few more pennies per CD-R blank and buy a known brand
like Imation, Sony or Maxell, not CompUSA.  I buy Memorex Black CD-R.

Over the last 14 years, the few times I have had to get my laptop(s) fixed I
either shipped them without the drives, or I took them in for repairs and
pulled out the drive at the repair station.  I have never surrendered a
laptop with a drive in it!  (It was more complex to take out in the early
days. Almost voided the warranty.)  My CD-R is in my laptop at all times and
I am now considering doing nightly backups of my .PST file while on the
road.  That was the only thing I lost 2 weeks ago, a few days worth of
messages.

For ad hoc backups at the office, I placed an 80GB disk drive in the docking
station and I duplicate some files and the .PST file on it.  Since we are
backup product vendors, when my laptop is in the docking station, it gets
backed up to the corporate DLT library at night.  But note that I only
backup MY data, not the stuff that comes on a CD.

I wish you good luck with your next Dell laptop made with DESKTOP,
battery-eating components du jour and if I sound condescending, it's because
you deserve it.  I still can't believe someone, especially someone in IT
would never have a backup for his laptop. Maybe you just started in IT 6
months ago.  What would you do if you dropped the device or if it got
stolen?  HDD are machines, fragile ones at that.  They do go bad!  Spend the
$200 and get a CD-RW.

Denys