HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:14:28 EDT
There appears to be quite a few of us independent consultant types posting to
HP3000-L.  Am I guessing correctly that quite a few of us are watching and
wondering about this whole pending migration process?

Perhaps we should look at forming some sort of 'migration team'?  None of us
are going to have an all encompassing set of technical skills.  Most of us
have had to deal with the various agencies that frequently a) tack on a high
amount to the hourly rate and b) don't have a clue about anything technical
and c) might well be prone to placing non-HP-3000 people into openings
involving a HP-3000 migration.

From the point of view of companies facing significant migration work,
1) Who wants to pay the extra markup that agencies typically charge?
2) Who wants to hire the inexperienced?
3) Wouldn't it be nice to have a few people to turn to who are familiar with
your migration project instead of just one person or an agency rep?
4) If you are a software vendor, you and your customers have a LOT of work to
do.  If you could tackle one customer's system at a time with a small team of
people ... and then send the team on to the next customer's site ...
efficient? Productive? Cost effective?
5) Anybody really thrilled about hiring HP to do the work?  They ONLY
migration target choice that they are likely to offer will be HP-UX.

Comments from other consultants?

Comments from companies facing lots of migration work?

I'll start collecting a list of potential team members if this is of
interest.  e-mail me directly with any specific thoughts on how this
could/should work.

Wayne Boyer
Cal-Logic