HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:16:58 -0500
In message <[log in to unmask]>, george c stachnik
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Sletten Kenneth W KPWA noted here that the the April 2002 HPWorld
>magazine said: "We (HP) have installed over two million HP-UX systems,
>over 50,000 of which are in mission-critical environments."   However,
>he then tries to draw conclusions from that statement about the
>total number of HP-UX servers that we have installed.
>
>To clarify - we stated that there are 50,000 HP-UX systems being used
>in mission critical environments.
>
>We did not state how many HP-UX servers are currently being used in
>environments that are less than mission critical.  You'd need that
>number
>in order to calculate the total installed base of HP-UX servers, which
>HP has not published, (at least not to my knowledge).
>
>It is against HP policy for me to comment on the size of any individual
>HP business -  including the HP 9000 business and the HP e3000 business.
>
>However, I think I can safely say that the size of the HP-UX server
>installed base is not "in the same ballpark" (to borrow Ken's
>phraseology)
>as the size of the MPE installed base.  To be absolutely clear - we've
>sold more HP-UX servers.  A whole lot more.

I'm not surprised. When I, as part of an HP3000 ISV, wanted to upgrade
our HP3000, HP did its damndest to switch-sell us onto an HP-UX box.

Us! Despite the fact that our product wouldn't run on it, and our (all
HP3000) customers depended on our continued HP3000 support!

Same thing when the success of those customer's businesses (which I like
to think our product helped, or at least certainly didn't hinder) meant
that they needed larger HP3000 boxes to handle the extra workload.
Big UX push from HP, every time. Ho hum.

And don't get me started on the only plaque we could have from HP to
hang in the lobby to say we were an ISV had 'HP 9000' on it, and there
were *no* 'HP 3000' ones.

I'm sure Winston Prather was right to say that the cessation of the
HP3000 was in large part conditioned by the erosion of the third-party
ecosystem.

But he kind of makes it sound as if, when they were all hanging on by
their fingertips, they got tired and drifted away. No mention of anybody
from HP who might have been out there, metaphorically stomping on those
fingers with big cleated boots.

Hmmmm... I think I just vented :-)
--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris