HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:08:51 -0700
Tom writes:
> > From: george c stachnik
> >
> > Sletten Kenneth W KPWA noted here that the the April 2002 HPWorld
> > magazine said: "We (HP) have installed over two million HP-UX systems,
> > over 50,000 of which are in mission-critical environments."   However,
> > he then tries to draw conclusions from that statement about the
> > total number of HP-UX servers that we have installed.
>
> There's no need to "try" -- if the HPworld magazine is accurate in their
> statements (i.e., 2mil installed; 50k are mission critical) then it stands
> to reason that the number of non-mission-critical systems is 2,000,000 -
> 50,000.

It's my impression that the "50,000" number represents the number of
licenses they've sold for some sort of "clustering" software (MC
ServiceGuard?) which leads them to count these systems as
"mission-critical".  This is a more restrictive definition of
"mission-critical" than most of us are used to.

For the HP3000, the equivalent measure would be the number of licenses of
NetBase that have been sold (which I would guess is very close to the same
proportion), and that just shows that the percentage of customers who need a
"clustering solution" is about the same regardless of which OS they use.

By the HP3000-L definition of "mission-critical", probably about the same
percentage of MPE systems and HP-UX server systems would qualify.

What it comes down to is that people use HP-UX servers for very much the
same kind of things that they use HP3000s.  The absolute numbers are
probably quite different (and a lot of that 2,000,000 may be workstations),
but any relative measure is likely to be quite similar between MPE and
HP-UX.

G.