HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Ric Merz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:52:48 -0800
I remember this problem with earlier HP PC's.  They were not "true" clones
(i.e., non-standard hardward).  At their EOL they became boat anchors.  Bye
bye power supply, case,  floppies 'cause the motherboard had non-standard
mounting holes and power supply connector.

It's really not hard to purchase standard boxes, mobo, etc and roll your
own.  But, you will need someone to support the boxes.  If you do roll your
own, you can upgrade the machines as needed, and do it part by part,
instead of having to purchase a complete box.

Ric

At 05:02 PM 4/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Np Phil, when you buy a box, open it up and look at it. Check it out, do
your homework, caveat emptor. There are plenty of boxes that come
>through our shop that are a joy to work on.
>
>To address your other question, which would you rather have? A low price
or good service? The good service is usually found at small
>shops who make up the box to your spec, will gladly takes parts from the
old box and incorporate them in the new to save you money. Small
>shops are willing to take the time to discuss things with customers and
fix small problems. The low prices are found at Best Buy and
>CompUSA where you get service to match the price you paid. Of course if
you know the difference between Slot A and Socket A you are
>surely rolling your own from what can be found on pricewatch.com and have
a Beowolf Cluster in your basement.

>Paul
>

>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:33:39 -0500, Phil Yantis wrote:
>
>>So it sounds like everything is "non-standard". To rephrase my original
>>question, is the only way to have a standard PC to "roll your own". Then of
>>course you can mke it match "your standard".
>>
>>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
>>* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

Ric