HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Kim Borgman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:26:41 -0600
i would guess 200 people max attending.  the 'solution' track is by far
attracting the most attendees.  I would say Winston got a tepid reception
when he spoke for the first 10/15 minutes.

There are 3 'platinum' vendors that have end/end conversions to convert all
aspects of the 3K to whatever you are planning on converting to.

IE you need to think about cobol, view screens, image, spoolfiles, and JCL.

HP is offering 6 months 'loaner' boxes to help test your conversion
software.  option to buy after that 6 months.

again my boss and I talked over supper,  it just doesn't make sense to
abandon the 3K.  Same box as the 9K, going to cost us big time $ to convert,
and everything seems to be a step backwards.  IE a speaker said today that
one conversion they did, to get a rpt to print on 8 different printers
worldwide, they had to run the rpt 8 times, once for each printer.  Does
that make sense ?

our only hope seens to be an MPE emulator or the open source.  My bet is HP
won't allow open source to happen until near the end of 2006 when the end of
support runs out.  To much $ to lose by too many vendors/HP.

OH well, we can hope.....12:20 Indiana time, so it's past my bedtime.

Remember, most of Indiana, Arizona, and Hawaii, don't change times next
weekend....