UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Eugene Bartoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eugene Bartoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:06:49 -0500
Concerning the following piece of the AUP:

"While the University recognizes the role of privacy in an institution of
higher learning and every attempt will be made to honor that ideal, there
should be no expectation of privacy of information stored on or sent
through University owned information systems and communications
infrastructure (except for research and certain other protected records
that have been declared confidential by the President of the University and
approved by the State Attorney General)."

I think we all understand that e-mail use at this university is not
protected by privacy considerations [for confirmation one could ask the
recent president of the UT system, Wade Gilley].  However, the piece also
suggests that in ALL of our "information systems" we should not expect
privacy.  So, does that mean that our telephone conversations are not
private when conducted through the university telephone system?

--Gene
Eugene Bartoo
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga