UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:39:34 -0400
Dear Dr. J (a basketball reference, if you didn't notice),

Do you want the Lebos to feel like they are part of this University? Some
used to say they take pride in UTC because it working here is like
belonging to a family. All of the bitching and moaning about a damned car
that someone outside the University pays for is a waste of time, energy and
money. Have you any idea how many people in the United States make more
money in salary and incentives than the President?

Back to the game:

Considering the fact that humans don't learn from the past and are destined
to repeat it, should we be questioning the need for a history department
next?

With calculators replacing basic math skills, why do we bother teaching
calculus? Will pocket protectors become obsolete, if no one knows how to
use a slide rule?

Why should the average student care what the inside of a frog looks like...
unless he plans to eat it?

Seems to me we are better served in arguing to keep programs in remedial
classes, as many of our students don't speak or write the King's English.
"Are you doing good?" "Me and my friend's going to the bar for a beer
later. You want to come with he and I?"

How many engineering and computer science majors did we graduate last year?
You might want to check out the THEC recommendation about that.

I hope everyone will pardon the language I have spewed for the sake of
illustrating how ridiculous this conversation is becoming. I promise to
restrain myself on the subject in the future, if Dr. Dumas promises to
stick to the merits of academic and auxiliary programs and to stay out of
other people's salaries and the bike lane.

Kim Edward Renz
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Fine Arts Center, Department 1351
615 McCallie Avenue