SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:18:36 +1100
Bjorn wrote:

> Something about cave diving that I am not qualified to comment on, not least
> because all the facts of this case are not known.
>
> Then this:
>
> > I am qualified as a Cavern Diver, no more, no less. I (entirely
> > personally) consider this qualification (for reasons which are not
> > pertinent to this discussion) vastly superior to DM, not that DM is to
> > be sneezed at.
>
> If you are going to make a comparison, and one so absurd that a debate is
> certain to ensue, then I would suggest that reasons are very pertinent.

Sorry, I actually didn't expect a debate to ensue but now realise otherwise.

> The two courses are so vastly and fundamentally different in content and -
> especially - purpose that I can't think of a single reason why you would
> compare them. A divemaster is no more qualified to enter caverns or caves
> than a cave diver is qualified to assist in teaching a dive course or run
> underwater tours. How on Earth did you come up with that "gem" ?

You're quite right.

DM's are better at looking after students, nurturing them, hand
holding them, generally making these tyros feel all warm and cuddly.
Mind, I'm not a DM (although I've done the FAUI DM course). This is
simply a surmise on my part. DM's are, no doubt, also very good at
other things I have no idea about.

If, however, it hits the fan shitwise and if I then had the choice of
support (hardly likely, most would probably try hard to look the other
way) I'd look to a cave diver (of whatever persuasion)  every time.
Yes, I know, that's a generality, but these people of whatever
training standard have had support help instilled in them to a rather
greater degree than that promulgated for, shall we say, more
conventional divers.

Sorry, that's, at least, how *I* perceive it.

Phew, one has to be SO careful nowadays when spouting forth at the
mouth (I did). ;)

My apologies (again), I forgot that I should have qualified, it was a
brain dead thang. :(

Cheers,

Christian