SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
divewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:47:40 -0800
Hi Ed,
Good for you!

Thanks for the post.
{It has been awhile since the subject line of a scuba-se post has caused me
to actually read the digest. This must be the season when everyone has
trouble getting enough real diving experiences.}

I have the DSC-P1. Get the housing! It's great fun. It is actually the key
reason to own this digital camera over the others available.

from:bhphoto.com:
>Home < Digital Photography < Cameras & Accessories < Digital Camera Accessories
< Accessories < Underwater Cameras, Housings & Flashes
>DSC-P3 & DSC-P5 Digital Cameras
>Mfr Catalog # MPKP5 € B&H Catalog # SOMPKP5
>List Price: $249.99
>Our Price: $199.95
>Availability: In Stock

200 bucks is well worth it. No doubt. Also get some of those big "mem-morey"
sticks - 128mbs. BTW, I do not suggest you photograph any ugly eels.

Ah light---- I use the Sony UW video light now. I did use my normal dive
lights for awhile - until I could get the video light. Try ebay for lights?

You will soon dislike the in-camera flash. They do sell a color correction
kit for this. I have yet to try that. It's the back scatter that kills you.
The in camera flash is just too close to the lens. The camera may have
trouble adjusting to other flashes.

Lights are found at www.sonystyle.com
go to:
>http://www.sonystyle.com/di/prd.jsp?model=HVL-ML20

>Underwater flash light for the MPKP1
>HVL-ML20    $349.95

>Take crystal clear underwater shots with the help of the HVL-ML20. This new
>flash light incorporates Sony technology that compensates for light diffusion
>underwater. Attach to your marine pack case and use with your new DSC-P1 camera
>for great underwater photos.

So the video light starts getting you into a more expensive territory. It
can wait until later. You can gain valuable experiences in UW photo before
you have all the equipment to make each shot it's best. In other words,
practice with the in-camera flash and your dive light to take you to the
point where your photos justify the expense. Well, sort of... These are big
TOYS you know.

Good luck,
John

on 3/31/02 9:00 PM, Automatic digest processor at [log in to unmask]