SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Angelo Pardinas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:35:56 +0800
  This probably gave you more adrenalin rush than seeing a white shark.
  Btw, what camera were you using ? Was the camera completely submerged in
water or just a part of it ?

- Angelo

                    David Strike
                    <strikinc@OZEMA        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    IL.COM.AU>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     [SCUBA-SE] Wot I dun to me camera!
                    SouthEast US
                    Scuba Diving
                    Travel list
                    <SCUBA-SE@RAVEN
                    .UTC.EDU>

                    04/11/2002
                    01:49 PM
                    Please respond
                    to SouthEast US
                    Scuba Diving
                    Travel list

Conditions at Shelly Beach last Saturday morning were nigh on perfect. The
sun shone.  The sea was calm, clear and blue with just a gentle break right
on the point.  Lots of small Purple-People-Eaters were in the shallows,
several having small fish living inside the bell in a symbiotic
relationship.  Later in the dive - after *the incident* wot I will describe
later - we saw a small sea hare; schools of gobys; robust zoanthids with
their tentacles out feeding in the bright sunlight filtering down; two
balls
of small juvenile catfish; lots of friendly Eastern Blue Groupers; a school
of large kingfish; a beautifully marked wobbegong that looked remarkably
like the type that are found over on Viv's side of the island; Flutemouths;
yellowtail; sweps; seapike; lots of different varieties of wrasse and
leatherjackets; and two schools of squid - one with about 30 individuals.
It could have been perfect .... :-)

There I was, leaning on Julian's shoulder in the shallows while I put my
fins on, when I looked down at the camera.  There appeared to be bubbles
inside the housing!  " That's funny!"  I thought.  I looked closely and
noticed that the 'O'-ring was pinched between the seal!  "Oh, bugger!"  I
yelled.  Passed my fins and mask to Julian, opened the housing, drained out
the water and ran back up to the car-park - with all the gear in place.
(Adrenalin's a wonderful thing!) :-)

I dried off the camera - that still worked - and later took it into a Sony
repair place.  Today - after just $44.00 - they pronounced it in good
working order. :-)

Who's a silly boy, then! :-)

Strike