SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:21:35 -0400
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:19:17 -0400, Alfred E. Kirkland
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bob,
>
><<<It DOES take a scientist of sorts to know that a bag that fits the 45
>inch MAX linear-inches does not NECESSARILY fit the 22 x 14 x 9
>prescription nor the metal bin set up at the boarding counter,
>supposedly for the purpose of checking the admissible bags.  :-)>>>
>
>    Well, , I'll stick by my "Guide-Line" statement. I think we all know
>that 45 Linear Inches doesn't necessarily mean 22 x 14 x 9. I'm not
>going to argue "Baggage Math" with a gate agent. You can if you want, ,
>, not me!! I'll go quietly to my seat with my bag!!

Not if you carry that bag on an American Eagle flight with a small
plane -- an example I have already given.  But in that case, a bag
31 x 7 x 7 will definitely be allowed, because it fits the RULE as
well as the size of the luggage cabin, and it deviates substantially
from the 22 x 14 x 9 dimensions!

><<<But you won't find a single "enforcer" who would say you violated the
>RULES if your bag is within 45 linear inches.>>>
>
>    This is just a little more than silly to respond to but here goes!!
><G>

Your example is NOT one in violation of the RULE.  It's an exception
to the rule because the airline bin is too small for it.  SAME exception
as the American Eagle example I had already given.

><<<The point you missed>>>
>
>    I Didn't miss the point at all. My point is that the airlines are
>strongly suggesting (with the "Metal Bin") a size that is pretty darn
>close to 22 x 14 x 9!! I think my original post was a simple and to the
>point response to Brad's question.

You did miss the point of the RULE (which is NOT 22 x 14 x 9) and you
obviously missed my example of an exception to have re-created another
wheel for the same exception.

><<<As I said ... it pays to know the RULES, and the exceptions too!>>>
>
>    It also pays to pay attention to the suggested guide-lines!!

The guideline is just a SAMPLE of a common size.  It remains an
"example" of what fits the rule.  Not the rule itself.  Everyone
can draw their own conclusion given what we BOTH have discussed.  It's
pointless to go further on it.  The RULES of different airlines are
specified by those airlines.

To the best of my knowledge, no airline says that a big HAS TO FIT
within 22 x 14 x 9.

If you know of one, let us know.

-- Bob.