SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:54:35 -0400
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:05:59 -0400, Alfred E. Kirkland
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Brad,
>
>    Most airlines have a "Size" limit, , , regardless of the "Large"
>word!! <G>  I use a guide-line of 22" (L) 14" (W) and  9" (D). This size
>is commonly used by airlines!!

While that's a good "rule of thumb", you need to remember that those
who make up rules for airlines are not rocket scientists.  In fact,
they are not even high-school physisists or mathematicians, because
they think volume is Length PLUS Width PLUS Height.

Thus, most airlines limit the size of carry-ons to 45 LINEAR inches.
Specifically, from the Continental Airlines webpage:

CO>  The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the
CO>  carry-on bag is 45 inches (114 cm).

This link is somewhat useful for some commonly used airlines:

http://www.andiamoinc.com/airlinebag.html#a3

BUT, any silly rule usinging LINEAR inches for baggage size (BTW,
for CHECKED baggage, it's a max of 62" for L + W + H) is bound
to be subject to special "patches" to cater to other items that
do NOT fit those specs.  E.g., you can CARRY-ON a 6-ft hose
(as a straight item, without bending it -- 72" in length) or
a paddle that long (if you don't want to be caught up the creek
without a paddle;  but a 7-ft hose will have to be bent if you
want to carry it on.

There are as many exceptions (and special rules) as there are
for spelling and pronunciation in English.  So, nothing new
there.  :-)

It pays to know the RULES.   :-)

-- Bob.