SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Don Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:09:37 -0500
At 10:05 AM 4/7/02 -0400, Alfred E. Kirkland wrote:
>Brad,
>
>     Most airlines have a "Size" limit, , , regardless of the "Large"
>word!! <G>  I use a guide-line of 22" (L) 14" (W) and  9" (D). This size
>is commonly used by airlines!!

I agree with every thing Al said.  I don't think there is any realistic
hope that you will carry on your dive gear.  I wouldn't even try( If you
do, good luck and follow Al's advise of getting there early).  Since 9/11
carry-on rules are much more strictly enforced,  although it is still quite
subjective, as Huw suggested.  My philosophy is to carry-on everything or
nothing.  I modify this for dive trips.  There is no way my dive bag could
have been a carry-on before 9/11 much less since.  So, since I must check
my dive bag, I also check my roller bag that has my cloths and could be
carried on.  I have a back small backpack as Al described.  In it I carry
my dive computer, regs, travel docs, swim suit, shorts and T-shirt, a book
and bottle of water for the trip.  I figure my bags will show up
eventually, and in the backpack I have all I really need for a day or
two.  I can rent the remaining gear.

We are flying to Grand Cayman which is quite civilized.  If you are flying
AA, you will go all the way to GCM on that carrier.  This should help with
the bags. :)  Your (and mine) biggest problem with be Miami!

Prior to 9/11 I would check my bags through to Miami and then recheck to
the destination.  Then I knew where they were last seen.  Can't do that any
more.

FWIW, I have yet to have a serious baggage problems on a trip like
this.  Let's hope the luck continues.

Dive safe,

/Don