SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:01:57 -0400
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 02:14:44 -0500, Brad Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm trying to prepare for the Caymen Islands, and have concerns about
>what size bags are allowed as carry on luggage. I went to the American
>Airlines website, and found the answer to my question, but I'm having
>trouble believing it. Specificly, how could they allow "large size
>hiking or camping style backpacks" as carry on?
<snip>

Depends on how full the flight is, how security is and how they are feeling
that day...  A couple of years ago, I used to regularly get away with a
medium backpack as carry on, but, if the flight was full or security tight
(e.g. flying to Belfast from London the day after the last bomb in Canary
Wharf) then not a chance.

As far as dive gear for a tropical trip goes, computer (Suunto Stinger)
goes on my wrist, reg (and landcamera) goes in a small shoulder bag as
carry-on, everything else goes in my normal backpack in the hold.

Last December, Singapore airport opened my hand luggage after scanning it,
had a peep at my reg, asked 'scuba gear?' and waved me through, everywhere
else didn't even open the bag.

Dive gear gets far worse abuse during your average RIB dive than in the
hold of a plane anyway. :-)

Cheers,
Huw
--