SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:00:04 -0400
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:06:46 -0500, Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Since you're leaving, we should take this up when you return home.
>Although I'm enjoying the discussion, there's no sense in spending $$ in
>the internet cafe on this when you're supposed to be having fun.

I didn't mean to spend time for ANY thread during my trip.  Just let
folks know that I could be reached, if short important exchanges are
necessary, especially about the mini-NEDfest.

>However, two frivolous ethical questions to think about while your away
>having fun: do you really believe that Dr. Campbell is full of shit and
>that it's fair to call him a quack?

That's no frivol, and it requires no time to think about.  I made that
characterization based SOLELY on the webpage article you posted WITH
his name.  As such, and for anyone who would put his name in such an
article to draw such an unwarranted conclusion, I'll call him a "quack"
any day.  That's the only ethical thing to do!

I've call others "quacks" in my PUBLISHED reviews under the flagship
journal of the ASA (Journal of the American Statistical Association)
when such a label is called for, for a PARTICULAR piece of publication
in question.

In academia, one extremely foolish publication is sufficient to kill
one's professional career, in the eyes of his professional colleagues.
I've lived through 30 years of this microscopie scrutiny unblemished.

Trust me that there are lots of M.D.s Ph.Ds and other Ds waiting on
the wings as eagerly as the you-know-whos in Scuba-L and SE to try to
nail me, in view of my pull-no-punch, and tell-it-like-it-is approach.

None of the MDs or PhDs even tried, because they are smart enough
to know not to try when they have no amunition.

The gnats and mental midgets in Scuba-* on the other hand, are dumb
enough to try plenty of times without ammunition <G>, and all they
did was shooting their own feet.  :-)

>Or do you believe that all PhD's
>should be placed in the Piled higher and Deeper category?  :-)

Yes.  :-)   Some are piled full of wisdom and some others are piled
full of shit!  Still others are just lamings following the blind.
Take your pick.   :0))

>*discussion snipped*

-- Bob.