SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:21:26 -0500
Hi Mark,

http://www.rbdg.com/reb/dive

> As usual, I went off half cocked (literary allusion only) and bought the
> reader without waiting for your reply.  I purchased and installed a USB
> version on my laptop last night ($30 @ THE WIZ) and was delighted with the
> results.  It is far more elegant an interface than going directly from the
> camera.  I had no trouble with the port replicator and all three confusers I
> use are USB compatable.

That's great news!  (About the reader working, not about going off half
cocked. :-))  To be fair, the troubles I was relating were from a
considerable time ago.  There's no excuse for a manufacturer NOT to have
their software drivers sorted out by now.  In particular and recently
I've had compatibility problems with Lexar cards in two other readers
and the Lexar Jumpshot reader refusing to talk to anything but Lexar
cards.  Both incompatible and expensive: an unbeatable combination!
:-)

> When I tried to do the firmware upgrade I received a message from Canon that
> it wasn't currently available and I should try again later?

Since you now have the reader, all you need is a 925kb .fir file.  If
you like, I can send you the file and the pdf instructions.  Let me
know.

> Regards,
> Mark

Best regards,