SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:29:29 -0400
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:03:26 +0100, Andy M Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>One of my mates here at work is being 'pressured' by his non-diving wife to
>suffer some time in Rayavadee, Cape Phranang in Krabi, Thailand.
>The question is, does anyone (Bjorn mebee ?) have any knowledge of this
>place. Should he just suffer in silence & go & dive; or persuade her
>to consider a batter place?

Cape Phranang (Rai Lei Beach, etc) is a fantastic piece of scenery,
limestone cliffs, golden beaches, warm blue water etc etc, but it is also
IMHO seriously overdeveloped.  If your taste in holidays is for a packed
beach resort you'd love it.

When I dropped by in '00 (with Kat, as it happens :-)) it hadn't slid as
low as the package resort hell that parts of Phuket and Ko Samui have
become (IMHO again :-)), but - despite being a national park - seemed to be
heading that way.

However there were plenty of dive centres booking day trips round the area,
and around Phi Phi.  I'm sure the diving isn't up to Thailand's best, but
it must be a long way better than nothing...  he would probably need to be
away all day, or most of the day, to get to any of the better sites.

And maybe he could persuade her to let him go on a Similans liveaboard for
a few days... :-)

Cheers,
Huw
--