HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 5

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:20:28 -0800
Since I started this thread, allow me to add some thoughts.

I am not now, never have been, and likely never will be, an apologist for
Interex (just ask Denys). After all, I was the one who in an earlier post
referred to Interex as an "HP management toady". I started this thread in
the hopes of generating some constructive dialogue about the Interex
position paper and what Interex can do to help the MPE community.

I do not endorse everything it says, but believe it is worth reading. I
believe it is also worthwhile to give Interex a chance to see what kind of
follow through it comes up with.

If I had my way, the announcement/article would have come from the Board as
a whole (or from the Chairman) instead of an individual Board member. I
would have liked to see it announced with the same fanfare as the lamentable
and unconscionable announcement of support for the merger. I also would have
liked to see it place more pressure on HP to respond. Finally, I would like
to have seen it several months ago.

However, we do finally have a position that is presumably supported by the
Board. And, it contains many statements I think we can agree with.

In less than a week, Interex will have a chance to put some substance to
this announcement at the Solutions Symposium. Winston Prather leads it off
with his "Welcome and HP e3000 Directions" presentation. Let's see if he
speaks to the Interex position on "Issues Needing Resolution". Failure to do
so would tend to indicate that either Interex has little influence with CSY
or the announcement was so much lip service.

Since I know only a small portion of the members of this list will be at the
Solutions Symposium, I'll post my impressions of Winston's talk on
Wednesday. And, I will not pull any punches if he, and Interex, do not
deliver.

John Burke