HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 4

From:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:36:53 -0400
At 09:30 AM 3/25/2002 +0000, Heasman, David wrote:
>  I don't see any Cognos presence on this board at all. Stan Sieler got
>  his info from someone from Robelle - partly a competitor!

Actually we don't see it that way, we have many customers who use
Suprtool in concert with Quiz and have done so for many years, we
see the products as complementary not competitive, but you did say
partly. :)

>  I left Cognos a mere 14 years ago, so I may know.
>
>  A 644 file is a traditional PowerHouse subfile, a self-describing file
>produced by the PowerHouse
>  modules QTP and Quiz. It can be read by some versions of Quick.
>
>  Since it's a single file, the self-describing bits are part of the file, so
>if the
>  records are mucked about with by external code, e.g. SORT.PUB.SYS, or - as
>one of our
>  ingenues did the other week - QEDIT, it stops being readable by PowerHouse.

Actually if you put set work labels on in your Qeditmgr file this will tell
Qedit to retain the label information and Quiz will still be able to
read the file. In Suprtool, we go to great lengths to insure that you
can append to a Quiz subfile to fill the file with data so that
Quiz can use the file.

Hope this helps,

Neil "not the astronaut" Armstrong