HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 4

From:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:48:06 -0500
John,

the answer is it depends. Beyond the 'Rules of thumb' posted here, it helps
to pay attention to your data distribution within your set. This usually
means having a tool like HowMessy to provide you with this info (Bradmark
also has some reporting on this).

I have seen cases were it was necessary to play with different capacities to
get one that hashed well. Mainly an issue of how the keys were developed and
therefore how they worked through the hashing.

(Plug alert) If you have Suprtool or Qedit, Howmessy is included and comes
with a nice little help manual that explains the statistics it reports.

While I am tired and this is probably vague, I would encourage you to look a
little further into looking at your key distribution.

Blessings!

Dave