HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 4

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:05:29 -0500
Anyone run across a case were a grep with a pattern file (example below)
takes over the system to the point were all other NS-VT, telnet, ftp,
sessions drop their connection, but not before all sessions appear to
freeze (including the console)?

The grep in question was of the format:

shell/iX> grep -i -f nums.txt /SHARE/PUB/data/archive/*.* > selected.csv

where the nums.txt file contained 387 phone numbers (987-654-3210), one
number per record.

The user doing the grep was an ordinary user of the SHARE account, pri=CS.

I even staged two repeats to verify that it was the grep taking over the
system.  The second time I altered SYS and MANAGER.SYS to allow PRI=BS, and
was on the console with PRI=BS while the grep ran.  About 23 seconds into
the grep, the console stopped responding, even though I was logged on PRI=BS.

Any ideas as to how grep could get higher priority than MANAGER.SYS on the
console, PRI=BS?

John