HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:42:56 -0800
Hi Larry,

No problem. However, let me give you some points
of view from our experience.

We are a MS Partner and have been using VB since 1.0
We use NT/IIS/Exchange as our back-end file-print/web/email
services.
We use SQL/2000 in one of our products.
All our desktops are Win2kPro.

When we use MS products we try to choose carefully and
are aware of the hassles that can occur. However, we
have had very good success with the NT solution for
a customer our size (~45 emps served).

We like sql/2000 for its on-line/gui tools and find it
to perform reasonably well.

However, we aren't targeting NT as our 'for purchase'
product platform of choice because its not 'open' and
not properly scalable for our market. Licensing terms
and other issues also come into play here.

I have problems with all sorts of products in my life.
I have cars that leak oil, I have fans that break, I have
light switches that stop working, etc. I even use software
from other than MS that is buggy and causes problems. I have
even been known to create some of it :-)

All in all, given the amount of sw they produce and the effort
it takes to get it working on various platforms I think MS does
a reasonable job. Yes - they could do better.

Not trying to be a MS apologist, but just trying to be reasonable.

duane

Larry wrote:

>To set it straight, Guy was quoting me.  It would have to be a BIG
>depression  ;-)
>
>Duane,
>
>I appreciated your comments but you missed the boat on what I
>was saying.  I was making light of all the problems Microsoft goes through
>when the release a product.  They are constantly evolving the
>same product and usually with the same, if not more, bugs.
>My comments may not have fit exactly with what you were saying
>earlier, but it reminded me of all the frustrations I go
>through with M$ product installs/updates.  I'm currently
>going through one at home with XP Home Edition.  I like the O/S but it is a

>challenge right now.  Not a big one, but a challenge none-the-less.

[snip]