HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Steve Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:15:40 -0500
Hello everyone.  I have been away from the list for a long time and now I am
back.

We currently have an issue with printing to a laserjet over the internet
from our HP3000 series 928.  We are still on 5.5.
We thought that this would be an easy thing to do.  We print to laserjets
all the time over our network.  This time we have the Laserjet 4050 at a
remote location connected to a router that has a pegged IP address from our
ISP.  The problem is that the ISP has temporarily blocked all traffic using
the SNMP protocol.  The engineer at the response center said this was needed
to communicate with the laserjet.  Supposedly, this is a temporary situation
for the ISP.  They are concerned with security issues with the protocol.

I need to know if anyone knows of a way to make this happen without SNMP.
The engineer at the response center suggested that we look for third party
software.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve Daniels
MIS Manager
Park Farms, Inc.
Canton, OH