HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:20:18 -0500
Russ Smith said:

> 3000-Listers,
>
> A week ago, in a thread related to credit unions and
> migration off the 3000, I made a comment for which I
> would like to apologize.  In that posting, I named a
> former client and referenced their management saying:
>
> > ...senior management raised on one
> > platform who insist on making a new system behave like
> > their old system and then bitch about the effects...
>
> This off handed statement cast those persons in an unfair
> and crass light, and seemingly gave them no credit for
> how they choose to pursue the goals of member service and
> product value.  My thoughts on some aspect of their I.T.
> structure are irrelavent and should not have given way to
> that part of my posting.  And while my posting was in
> reply to one made by a former employee of the credit
> union, any direct reference from me to the credit union,
> its staff or management, or projects relating to them was
> inappropriate.  Further, as I do not speak with my
> employers' voices when posting on these lists, any
> knowledge I have of the members or clients serviced by
> them has no place in my postings except in generic terms
> such as "on a client's system, I saw the error you are
> reporting and it was caused by X."
>
> In rereading that thread from the archives and my postings
> in it, I see myself using that firm's move away from the
> 3000 as a scapegoat to voice my feelings about another
> institution moving away from the 3000.  With the distance
> of a few days between me and those thoughts, however, it is
> apparent that I need to spend more time considering what I
> say and about whom, before making comments, especially
> when those comments can potentially be read by such a
> large audience.  When so many emails on this list are made
> with the speed of a mouse click, I sometimes let that care
> fall by the wayside.
>
> Russ Smith

I understood Russ Smith's post perfectly, albeit from a
different point of view.  In no less than 3 places I've
worked in an HP3000 environment, (who shall remain unnamed)
I've run across the  situation where they had migrated
*TO* an HP3000 and had manipulated the operation of their
*NEW* application software (which shall remain unnamed)
and their 3rd party reporting software (which shall
remain unnamed) so that it behaved like their previous
platform (which shall remain unnamed) and previous
application (which shall remain unnamed.)

In all cases the users complained that the software
(which they had manipulated, and shall remain unnamed)
did not work they way they wanted it to.  One case they
were even hostile to the (unnamed) application and in
on instanced threw their (unnamed) application manual
at the (unnamed) trainer.

(Now I'm also certain someone is also going to be offended
by this, the above statement has relation to the financial
site of www.unnamed.com and the gaming site of www.unnamed.org)