HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:12:02 +0000
Why do you need to convert to MPE plain vanilla - we import some bytestream files and read them as byte stream in Cobol

If it would be useful, I can send you a copy of a cobol program we use to convert from Bytestream to fixed length.

>>> "Pickering, John (NORBORD)" <[log in to unmask]> 18/03/02 18:57:04 >>>
I need to get a file from a server running NT. The file on the NT server
uses line feeds only as record delimiters. My understanding is that this is
what is known as a bytestream file. I need a plain old MPE flat file with a
record length of 160 on the 3k.

So what's wrong with the following? All I get is a single record (the first
in the file).

 open xx.x.xx.xxx
 user user password
 cd directory_where_the_file_is
 bytestream
 get testfile.txt testfile.group;rec=-160,1,f,ascii;move
 quit

Thanks for any help,
JWP

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient and may not be disclosed.
Although it is believed that this email and any attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to confirm this.

Smith & Williamson Corporate Finance - A member of M&A International Inc. http://www.mergers.net  Regulated by the FSA
Smith & Williamson Investment Management Limited, Registered No. 976145.  Regulated by the FSA
Smith & Williamson Pension Consultancy Limited - Independent Intermediary.   Registered No. 3133226.  Regulated by the FSA
Smith & Williamson Unit Trust Managers Limited, Registered No. 1934644.  Regulated by the FSA
Smith & Williamson Chartered Accountants - A member of Nexia International.  Registered to carry on audit work and regulated for a range of investment business activities by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales
Smith & Williamson Management Consultants Limited, Registered No. 3226020

Registered Office: No. 1 Riding House Street, London W1A 3AS
Telephone: 020 7637 5377 http://www.smith.williamson.co.uk