HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:07:12 +0200
Greetings

I notice that extended characters with diacritics held on the HP3000 do not
translate well onto HTML pages on the web.

Specifically, accented characters, such as those found in names, look good
on the HP3000, but change when sent raw to html pages.

e and E, a and A with acute or grave accent are rendered nicely in the
various termulators, but become different symbols when sent directly to a
web browser.

Now, I know about the tag <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> and other values for 8859-1, and
although this solves the little e with acute accent (by turning it upper
case E), it doesn't work for the others.

Short of translating these special characters before sending them out, has
anyone found a solution?

Regards

Neil