HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:42:40 +0000
A question about software purchases.

We bought a copy of XXXXX Backup product for a 967 system some time
ago. As we are gradually moving off the HP3000, we cancelled the
maintenance contract. Recently, we have transferred our remaining
applications to a 918 (smaller than 967) but because we have no
maintenance contract, XXXXX will not allow us to transfer a working
copy to the 918.

Now, I know that vendors need to make a living, largely on the back of
maintenance contracts but we actually purchased the software from
them.
Is it unreasonable to expect the product we purchased to keep on
working when we transfer to a smaller machine? Another vendor of third
party software (known especially for their excellence and support) had
no problem allowing us a working version free of charge for the
remaining life of our HP3000 (less than a year probably).

The problem is that we have no budget for the 918 and are unable to
justify a new maintenance contract for the remainder of the 918s life.
The short answer is "use STORE" but it is the principle that I am
asking about here. Surely we paid upfront for the software and should
be able to continue using it. If we were going to a bigger machine,
then, yes, I can see that we would have to pay for the additional
users but the other way...?

Just asking..

Cheers,

John Dunlop

E-mail : [log in to unmask]   "If at first you don't succeed...
Web : http://www.hp3000links.com   Don't take up sky-diving !"
"All your HP e3000 resources on the Net"
(Mirror: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~jdunlop/index1.htm)