HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:23:34 -0500
Are the SETI servers down much more than they are up, or am I just unlucky?

For the past few weeks I've seen the banner "SETI@home needs your
attention.  Please double-click on the SETI@home icon in the taskbar." on
an almost daily basis, often lasting for two days at a time.  The problem
is almost always that it can't get to the server.  In conversations with
others running SETI, apparently I'm not alone, and some have found the
banner annoying enough that they have dropped out of SETI.

Today I've seen that ^%$&((&*^$ banner enough times that I've disabled
SETI.  I can ping setiathome.berkeley.edu and setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu,
but the SETI software says it can't connect to its server.

Is there a way of disabling the !#$#%@#$% banner other than disabling
SETI?  Gee wiz, the red dish icon is indication enough that SETI is down, I
don't need the banner crawling all day.

John (and yes, it sure is Monday)