HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:56:59 EST
Although we didn't produce many calendars this year, we are now providing a
poster that is a mixture of fine art, blatant advertising, a joke and
political statement regarding migration from the HP3000. The poster, like the
previous calendars, is created from within QueryCalc, run wholly on the
HP3000, and printed to a large-format HP755CM color inkjet printer connected
as a network printer to the HP3000.

You can get an idea of what the poster looks like from:

    http://aics-research.com/migrateposter.pdf

The background photograph is one of Jeff Vance's. Every year a group of HP
lab types and a few vendors get together for a meeting. This year's meeting
was in Sedona, Arizona and the meeting just finished up a couple of weeks
ago. Although we didn't go, Jeff Vance did. Jeff was kind enough to allow us
to use one his photographs he took while he was there as the background for
the poster above. I electronically added the authentic ancient petroglyphs to
the rocks.

The PDF rendering on your screen probably won't do the poster justice. The
colors will probably be brighter on your screen and less dramatic than the
actual poster. It will certainly be much more pixelated. For technical
reasons, the PDF file had to be created horizontally, but of course you'll
lose all sense of that when you hang the poster on the wall. Some Acrobat
readers have the capacity to rotate the image on your display, other, older
readers don't. If you can't rotate the image, stand sideways to get a sense
of what the poster will look like :-).

If you would like a copy of the poster, please send me an email with your
complete physical mailing address. Because it is advertising, there is no
charge for the poster. The poster is 24" x 36", which is a standard poster
size, and is suitable for framing (in fact, it really looks good framed; you
can go to virtually any hobby store and buy a 24" x 36" pre-made frame for
ca. $20).

Unfortunately, this offer is only good in the US. We use the US Post Office's
mailing tubes to send these posters out, and the mailing tubes are good only
for domestic mail.

Wirt Atmar