HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:12:45 -0800
Wayne writes:

>>As I understand it the compilers use a shared source between the 3000 and
>>9000. Is HP going to be willing to give OpenMPE access to source code of a
>>product that they are still supporting and enhancing?

>A critically important point!  Perhaps HP could spilt off the MPE/iX
>specific source code from the common base and engineer a standard link
>between the common bas e and the MPE and HPUX specific parts?  Doing
>something like this allows us to take advantage of COBOL-2002 if and when
>HP upgrades the compiler to handle the pending standards changes.  If HP
>doesn't upgrade the compiler, then how do we get COBOL-2002?  Do it as part
>of OpenMPE?  Need the source code for the compiler then.....

HP's hp-ux cobol is from MicroFocus and is NOT a shared code base with the
Mpe HP cobol compiler. There will be NO hp cobol support for any new
standards on mpe. However, the MF cobol probably will be upgraded to fit the
standards. But since the two cobols are totally different code bases you
will not get any leverage in the mpe world from work done on the MF
compiler. Besides, you will probably prefer Acucobol better than mf anyway.

Duane percox