HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Dale Halterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:21:09 -0000
Hi Jim,

I propose to you that HP has already made "a breakā€ and for all practical purposes has already moved "away from MPE".  But let's deal with those things that we do have control over.

If OpenMPE is to succeed, then the OpenMPE board must build a business case (again, in dollars, not a census).  Experience has shown time and time again that a solid business case will motivate HP to action.  If OpenMPE gives HP a fist full of letters of intent - as it is structured today - then it will be discounted as another group of propeller-head TECHNICIANS and not a concerned group of BUSINESS PEOPLE.

I agree that not every public company bases decisions on stockholder value.  Simple economics dictates that those who ignore it will be soon out of business.

However, we are not talking about theoretical companies -- we are discussing HP.  And HP does value the enhancement of stockholder value.  If the board can demonstrate how OpenMPE can help accomplish this, only then you will have HP's ear.

OK, we will agree to disagree.

--

Dale Halterman          Wumly Consulting Services, Inc.
510/703-5849    mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.wumly.com