HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:56:21 -0500
Tracy Pierce wrote:

> it would appear that text attachments are allowed, but it might be to
> everyone's benefit to note that even so, said text gets mangled (by mime?
> see all those "=3D"s?).  Cut-n-paste applied to pure-text email works
great,
> gets your script through clean.  FWIW, here's my edition of Jeff's (thanks
> Jeff!) script (which still breaks for me, but I'm working on it):

The problem with cut and paste is that it breaks lines that have too many
characters.  The "=3D" do come from the MIME Quoted Printable transfer
encoding.  If you have a MIME-compatible mail reader, it will resolve those
back into the proper characters.

If your mail reader doesn't do that, you can do one of several things:
  (1) save the entire message on your PC (an extension of ".MIM" is good),
then open the file with WinZip
  (2) save just the attachment in a text file, then use Perl
perl -MMIME::QuotedPrint -00 -ne 'print decode_qp($_)' infile >outfile