HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:38:58 -0800
Douglas Becker writes:

>If there are those who do not appreciate that I am publically
>declaring that the king has no clothes on, and furthermore a nasty rash
>has become quite noticeable and needs immediate medical attention, it's not
my
>problem, so why are people trying to shush me up?!

For me it's not the message, it's how its communicated. I prefer
civility, defensible 'hard facts' and attempts at stating reasonable
and persuasive arguments. Any writing that amounts to yelling and
screaming doesn't help me understand or find empathy for the stated
point(s) of view.

IMHO postings that indicate someone has an axe to grind indicate a
lack of professional maturity that would make me wary.

>And, in your way, you have the answer: Fear of reprisal for
>telling the truth, uncovering the cover-ups, uncovering the
>cover-ups of the cover-ups and making the whole thing discussible.

Who's afraid. Not me. I have slammed HP many times over the years
for their behavior. I prefer to state hard-facts that are defensible
and try to avoid name calling and hateful terms.

BTW - if you have such facts with regard to hiring/firing practices
      then maybe you should be talking to federal/state agencies and/or
      legal counsel.

>I have no such fears.

I'm glad for you.

[snip]

Regardless of your skill set and your ability to solve a set of
complex technical problems, you have to work with other people and
your behavior will be interpreted by customers as a reflection on
the company you work for.

My interpretation, based on the evidence I have seen so far,
would lead me to believe that you may not be a team player, may
be difficult to work with, might jeopordize the whole for a personal
agenda and might be viewed as 'difficult' and adversarial. However,
I have not met you personally, nor worked with you so this is just
an initial interpretation. Maybe sometime we will have the opportunity
to work together and I can see those 'skills' exposed in a way that
proves my initial interpretation wrong.

Some employers and some jobs will find value in these traits.
Some will not. Hopefully, you will continue to find employers who
value your skills and how you interact with others.

Besides, as you indicated, most employers don't bother to research
much besides skill set background anyway.

Good luck on your career.

duane percox