HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:14:45 -0800
MF Cobol, now Merant, really has not seen much activity since milking Y2K,
I was never impressed with their offering.  I've looked at Acucobol off and
on for 10 years now, and they also seem to miss the boat in my opinion, not
to mention the huge costs, $3,000 per developer and $100 per user run time
on average.  On Linux they provide NOTHING but the cobol interpreter (you
did know it's an interpreter and not a compiler right?).

5 years ago the closest I saw the the "promised" land was Fujitsu, but it
depends on your target platform, certainl Acucobol has a huge number of
platforms it runs on.

At 12:59 PM 3/8/2002, Tracy Pierce wrote:
>Not trying to start a war, simply looking for realistic suggestions.  A
>couple of posts have marginally dissed the value of each of microfocus Cobol
>and AcuCobol.  Would users of those products please elaborate, either
>privately or on-list?
>
>While I've been actively courted by AcuCorp, I haven't actually seen the
>innards of AcuCobol at all; I hope to get a glimpse at the SolSymp in April.
>Of course what I'll see will be every flashy feature, with any/all known
>gotchas carefully glossed over.
>
>I've only briefly seen mF Cobol, and that was quite a while ago; iirc it was
>a bit flaky and proudly presented photocopied IBM's VM Cobol manual as its
>documentation, this being an attempt to create the impression of 100%
>compatibility.
>
>Marketing being what it is, experienced users' negative opinions are of
>great value.  I certainly understand hesitancy when expressing negative
>opinions of any actively sold product - flame suits may be required.  So if
>private is easier, that's great; I'd be happy to compile/condense such
>opinions, names removed, for on-list presentation.
>
>Vendors of same, please keep outta this thread?  I promise I'll run em all
>by you before posting.  Fair enough?
>
>TIA
>
>Tracy Pierce

Regards,