HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:02:47 -0500
On 13 Mar 2002, at 7:56, John Clogg wrote:

> What I find most irritating about this story is the Compaq user group
> president saying that HP3000 users are a vocal minority

Of course we are a minority; we run real businesses, on real
computers, for real clients, to solve real problems.  We don't see
any financial or social gain to be had by employing large numbers
of experimentors in applied mathematics to achieve on four or more
new computers what we were able to accomplish on one old one.

Somehow the idea that technology is desirable in itself seems to
have taken root in certain business fields.  Personally I view
technology like fashion; it comes, it goes, it changes, it returns in
a new guise, and still we all wear clothes that are functionally
identical.  The question is, do we need to spend $200.00 for a shirt
when $40.00 will suffice?  Is it cost effective to pay a premium to
have a designer label on the inside of a jacket?

Regards,
Jim
---     e-mail is NOT a secure channel
James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3