HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Bill Cadier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Cadier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:03:24 -0700
Will asks:

> So, is there a way to find out how much space a DBE needs?

I should preface the following response with the fact that there are
folks on this list who have forgotten more about Image and SQL
than I ever knew! Hopefully if I'm misspeaking someone will correct
me!

Here goes...

It appears that if you have ImageSQL create the DBE for you it will
create the DBEfile with 5,000 pages and the logfile with 10,000 pages.
I tried this on 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0, with ImageSQL version B.G2.11,
B.G4.04 and B.G4.07 respectively.

Here's some information from a very simple database I used:

Database:
CUSTDB   SECTORS=    16
CUSTDB01 SECTORS=  2416

Automatically created SQL DBE attached to CUSTDB:
CUSTDBCR SECTORS=   256
CUSTDBE  SECTORS=    48
CUSTDBFL SECTORS= 80000
CUSTDBLG SECTORS= 20000
CUSTDBTC SECTORS=   208

DBEfile (80,000) = 5000 pages * 4096 / 256
Logfile (20,000) = 10000 pages * 512 / 256

The intent of ImageSQL is that you will create the DBE yourself
and construct it based on your needs. So, I got rid of that automatic
DBE and created my own using the following command which I
got by using SQLGEN (gen all) on the prior automatic DBE.
I made this one 1/10th the size:

START DBE 'custdbe' MULTI NEW
   BUFFER = (100,  24),
   TRANSACTION = 50,
   RUN BLOCK = 37,
   CHECKPOINT AUDIT ELEMENTS,
   DATA AUDIT ELEMENTS,
   DBEFILE0 DBEFILE DBEFILE0
      WITH PAGES = 500,
      NAME = 'CUSTDBFL',
   LOG DBEFILE DBELOG1
      WITH PAGES = 1000,
      NAME = 'CUSTDBLG.CUSTDB.CADIER';

And now...

Manually created SQL DBE attached to CUSTDB:
CUSTDBCR SECTORS=   256
CUSTDBE  SECTORS=    48
CUSTDBFL SECTORS=  8000
CUSTDBLG SECTORS=  2000
CUSTDBTC SECTORS=   208

Obviously if I was going to use CUSTDB/CUSTDBE for any real
work I would be need to investigate a more appropriate size for the
DBE and logfiles rather than just making them 10% of the default size!

I used the following documents to do a fast ramp up on this information.
(*watch the wrap*)

Getting Started with HP IMAGE/SQL found at:
http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/onlinedocs/36385-90011/36385-90011.html

ALLBASE/SQL Database Administration Guide found at:
http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/onlinedocs/36216-90214/36216-90214.html

This manual contains among other things a discussion of space utilization
calculations.

HTH,

Bill
HP/CSY