HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:55:42 -0800
Larry Simonsen asks:

>Do you people get this upset when your elected officials in any other
>effort make statements for you?

Yes I do!  I have terminated my membership in other organizations for the
same reason.  When politicians make statements about the voters' demands,
they are usually (but not always) basing those statements on poll results or
constituent mail.  When elected officials make such claims without the facts
to back them up I do get "this upset".

The board is elected and empowered to make decisions about running the
organization.  Their decision to vote the organization's shares in a certain
way does not anger me (even though I disagree), because it is within their
authority to do so.  What irritates me is issuing a press release telling
the world that "The largest association of Hewlett-Packard computer users"
supports the merger.  The press release amounts to actively campaigning for
shareholder votes in favor of the merger.  They presume to represent the
opinions of the members with statements like that, and they don't have the
information or the moral authority to do so.