HP3000-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:02:22 -0600
"Richard Barker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Sorry to bother the list with this again, but I'm getting desperate.  I'm
> far from a Cobol expert and will replace this 7000 lines of Cobol with a
300
> line Powerhouse one, as soon as possible, but until that happens this has
> work.
>
> I thought that Roy had solved my problem, but it appears I was a bit
> premature.  I am still getting this '9G' error, which as Roy correctly
> points out is 'too many files open'.  Now sometimes this program runs
> through without a problem and other times (mostly) I get this 9G error.
No
> one else is accessing the same file, the files are always closed, before
> being opened again, so this doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> The latest example is where a file is built and then file equated to,
> opened, records are written and then it is closed.
>
> build
> /TRANSFER/HP/billing/cptjo/CPTJOERU2002021620020228;rec=-98,2,F,ASCII;DISC
> =25000
> .
> .
> .
> FILE cptjo=/TRANSFER/HP/billing/cptjo/CPTJOERU2002021620020228
>

> open extend cptjo-file.
> write cptjo-record.
> close cptjo-file.
> FILE cptjo=/TRANSFER/HP/billing/cptjo/CPTJOERU2002021620020228
>

> open extend cptjo-file.
> write cptjo-record.
> close cptjo-file.
> open extend cptjo-file.
> Unable to open CPTJO - Status : 9G
> Filename: AGBILL
> File status is 9d
> Unable to CLOSE file, See File System error [9x] (COBERR 633)
> Program file: BILLING.EXE.VIRDEV
> DUPLICATE PERMANENT FILE NAME  (FSERR 100)
>
> +-F-I-L-E---I-N-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N---D-I-S-P-L-A-Y+
> !  FILE NAME IS AG1178.TEMP.VIRGIN               !
> !  FOPTIONS: NEW,ASCII,FORMAL,F,NOCCTL,FEQ       !
> !            NOLABEL                             !
> !  AOPTIONS: OUTPUT,NOMR,NOLOCK,DEF,BUF,NOMULTI  !
> !            WAIT,NOCOPY                         !
> !  DEVICE TYPE: 3      DEVICE SUBTYPE: 8         !
> !  LDEV: 35       DRT: 8         UNIT: 0         !
> !  RECORD SIZE: 184    BLOCK SIZE: 184   (BYTES) !
> !  EXTENT SIZE: 31250  MAX EXTENTS: 32           !
> !  RECPTR: 18          RECLIMIT: 999999          !
> !  LOGCOUNT: 18           PHYSCOUNT: 18          !
> !  EOF AT: 18          LABEL ADDR: %00000000000  !
> !  FILE CODE: 0        ULABELS: 0                !
> !  FILE OWNER: MGR.VIRGIN                        !
> !  PHYSICAL STATUS: 0000000000000000             !
> !  ERROR NUMBER: 100   RESIDUE: 184      (BYTES) !
> !  BLOCK NUMBER: 18           NUMREC: 1          !
> +------------------------------------------------+
> **** COB_QUIT 633 ****
>
> ABORT: BILLING.EXE.VIRDEV
> NM SYS   a.01004770 dbg_abort_trace+$28
> NM USER  11b.0025d398 COB_QUIT+$b8
> NM PROG  4b1.0029d158 ybilling+$1a68
>
> Help

Me again.

I take it the File equates are being sent out via the COMMAND intrinsic?

Those are awfully long filenames - non-MPE ones - and I'm not sure how the
system will cope, though COBOL ought not to care...

You might want to try some MPE filenames, just for now.

Also try testing the status after each CLOSE - we all blithely CLOSE files
and assume it works (well, some of us do, anyway), but there are all sorts
of ways this can go wrong - vide the 9d Duplicate Permanent File Name you
are getting.

But to have 'too many files open', I'd suspect that the CLOSEs are failing,
but the OPENs, of what is nominally the same file, are working, and opening
new instantiations. I wonder if this is a POSIX file system thing?

If you can run this program in a user session, try seeing what is in the
TEMP domain before it runs and after it has failed, and also what is in the
directory you are file equating to at the same points - anything unusual?

The reason it sometimes works and sometimes fails may be to do with the
starting conditions - whether the files it is trying to write already exist
or not, in either TEMP or Permanent domain.

I could come round and have a look myself, but then I'd have to charge :-)

--
Roy Brown

Posting with the OEnemy