UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Nick Honerkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Honerkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:27:38 -0500
Mary, let me get this straight: you're mad at Blood Assurance because your
iron percentage is low? They're protecting YOU--if you're anemic, it would
be irresponsible for them to take your donated blood and make you even more
anemic! And iron-poor blood is not what people who need transfusions should
be getting. This should be a wake-up call concerning your iron content,
leading to increased vitamin supplements and/or an iron-rich diet. Feeling
"healthy" is not the issue, the iron in your blood is--I've been turned
away for exactly the same reason, even though I run marathons. Since I
started paying attention to the iron in my diet, Blood Assurance calls me
every six weeks (I think I'm on their automatic speed dialer) and I've
never been turned down.

Nick Honerkamp