UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:32:28 -0500
Hey, folks. Here is a notice I received today.

Watch for the Chattanooga Homecoming Jazz Festival and Scholarship Program,
April 12-14 at the Bessie Smith Hall and the Jazz Junction. Lots of
workshop activities and great music. More to follow on that.

Kim

>Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:20:31 -0500
>Subject: Jazz Sax Standout This Weekend
>From: Dean Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
LAA07397

>New York resident Benny Wallace is a Chattanooga native whose jazz saxophone
>accomplishments include album recordings with the likes of Chick Corea and
>Stevie Ray Vaughan, and writing the score for the films Blaze, White Men
>Can¹t Jump, and the Oscar-nominated short Little Surprises.
>
>He will perform at the Southside Jazz Junction Friday and Saturday, March 8,
>9 starting at 8:30 pm. Dinner starts at 7:00 pm. (Call 267-9003. $5 cover.)
>The event is co-sponsored by the RiverCity Jazz Association.
>
>A graduate of East Ridge High, Downbeat magazine described Benny¹s early
>high school years as ³moonlighting in jam sessions from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. at
>after-hour chitlin¹ circuit joints in Chattanooga¹s black section.²
>
>Wallace is a white sax player who likely can¹t jump, but is ³incendiary,²
>according to JazzTimes. Wallace says it all started for him when the late
>East Ridge Band Director Ed Lehman arrived during his 8th grade year. ³We
>had a new band director come to our school who was a jazz musician and he
>introduced all of us to Count Basie, Sonny Rollins, Charlie Parker, Miles
>Davis -- all the really great music. He started up a jazz band in the school
>and actually a lot of good musicians came out of that program.²
>
>In fact, a number of local sax favorites are planning to catch up with
>Wallace at the Jazz Junction this weekend, including regular performers
>Brent King and Kevin Roberts.
>
>JazzTimes ranked Wallace¹s album ³Someone to Watch over Me,² a collection of
>Gershwin tunes, in their top 5 albums of the year in 1998, sharing honors
>with Chick Corea, Michael Brecker and T.S. Monk. He is also a five-time
>winner of Downbeat magazine¹s ³Talent Deserving Wider Recognition² award.
>
>L.A. Jazz Scene compliments Wallace with ³a very distinctive voice, one that
>is immediately recognizable.² Saxophone Journal refers to him as the
>³legendary² Benny Wallace. ³If you listen to the masters...you¹ll know when
>you listen to anything of Benny Wallace¹s that he stands on the same
>creative ground as these giants.²

Kim Edward Renz
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Fine Arts Center, Department 1351