UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KimEdwardRenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:49:46 -0500
Yes there is.

On April 12-14, the African American Museum, the Jazz Junction and the City
of Chattanooga will present Chattanooga Homecoming and Scholarship Program.
This three day event will feature Friday and Saturday workshops on jazz
methods and history, dancing to jazz and even a Sunday morning jazz
breakdast and worship service in the Bessie Smith Hall at the African
American Museum. During the early evenings there will be performances at
the Hall and later at the Jazz Junction.

The workshop at 11:00 am on Friday the 12th will feature a new, 40-piece
jazz band created to train students from all over Chattanooga. Many of
these students will receive scholarships in the form of paid music lessons
during the next year.

Featured performers at the Bessie and at the Jazz Junction include
Chattanooga natives Tony Williams and Wilfred Middlebrooks as well as
renowned saxophonist Andy Goodrich. All of the performers have direct ties
to Chattanooga, hence "Homecoming." On Friday evening at 6:00 pm, the
Chattanooga Spectrum Big Band, a local professional unit, will perform at
the Bessie Smith Hall.

Tickets to each performance on Friday and Saturday are $25. The Breakfast
on Sunday, April 14 costs $20. Tickets and donations will go directly to
the scholarship program.

For tickets to individual events, call the UTC Fine Arts Center at
755-4269, beginning on Monday, April 1, 2002.  I hope many of you will come
to this event to support the training of young musicians here in Chattanooga.

Tickets to
At 02:51 PM 3/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Good afternoon!  Is there more information available on this yet?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Debby Corey

Kim Edward Renz
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga