SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:24:37 -0500
On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:43:08 -0500, Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:03:10 -0600, Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Now that Steve mentions it, there are a couple or more really good
>> >specimens at the Tennessee Aquarium. Weird fish.

>> This fella has been in the Choo Choo Aquarium for quite a while.  But,
>> present compamy excepted, it's far from being the "weird fish" in
>> that aquarium.  :-)

I was there today.  It now has a special tank that houses 10 (TEN)
small paddlefish!  They must've been the offspring of the big one in
the big tank!

The weirdest fish there is the Russian (Volga river) Beleuga Sturgeon.

>There is an aquarium in Gattlinburg.  I think it's called the "Smoky
>Mountain Aquarium"

It's called Ridley's Aquarium of the Smokies.

http://www.ripleysaquariumofthesmokies.com

>> The Chattanooga Aquarium stakes claim as the one that has the largest
>> collection of FRESH water fish among all the Aquariums in the US.  It
>> has quite an impressive collection of the fishes from various rivers
>> in several continents.
>
>We visited the Choo Choo Aquarium back last fall.  Very impressive.  It's
>the only aquarium I have ever seen where the "big" tank is a fresh water
>one.  Everyone else has their "big" tank a salt water tank with lots
>of sharks and other large oceanic fish.

It has TWO big tanks.  Not sure which tank is bigger.  But the salt water
one (which visitors are routed through about 7 times, at different
half-floor levels; as opposed to the fresh water one, about two or three
times) is still the main draw:  bonnetheads, stingrays, green morays,
and assorted salt water fish, mostly Caribbean.

-- Bob.