SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:57:30 -0500
Reef Fish wrote:

> Lee, Steve didn't ask ME.

. . . and I didn't post to you.  As I recall, from the very last message I
read from you, you have nothing to discuss with me.  You can quit discussing
it any time you like.

> Paul Humann's Fish ID book covers the Caribbean, Florida, AND the Gulf.  I
have
> several other Fish ID books about that area.

So do lots of other people, including me.  I, on the other hand, have actual
experience diving in the Boynton area, 4 times this week as a matter of
fact.  All four of those dives were reported on this list, also in the last
week.  Care to share with the group when your last Boynton dive was, if
ever?

> >Do you have a photo of this fish?  If not, can you provide some
> >details on body shape, shape and location of fins and/or location and
> >appearance of the fish's mouth?  Anything more you have might help
identify
> >the fish in question.

> I suppose your questions showed that you are THE expert then?

You may suppose whatever you like.  If you are concluding that I am THE
expert, I'm flattered, but no, I'm not the expert, I'm not even an expert.
I'm simply a lot closer to being one than someone who does not dive in the
area mentioned, at least I think I am.  Feel free to cite your
qualifications if you think I'm wrong.  Here are mine:
1. 9 semester hours of marine biology within a few miles of the site where
the fish was spotted.
2. 3 years of college level oceanography study within a few miles of the
site where the fish was spotted.  This was my original major.
3. 20 years stocking and maintaining salt water aquariums, all within 40
miles of the site where the fish was spotted.
4. 40 years of diving, including more than 1000 dives in the waters where
the fish was spotted.
5. The same books you mention, plus some you didn't.

Your turn.

Lee