SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:18:32 -0500
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:40:24 EST, Mark Goldsmith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Which 4 day weekend?  May find me there if you came the wrong time!  :)
>
>If all goes well we'll arrive at 12:30PM from IAH on Thurday 5/30 and
>return on the midday flight on Monday 6/3.

Sorry, that's the CHA02NEDfest weekend! 6/1-2. Thanks for the La CHosa
lemon soup (freebie <G>) offer, but I'll take Viv's Tim Tam over it
anyday,  :-)

>(and if you know La Choza, you'll know why all my friends consider me such
>a giving guy!)...Be nice to meet you as well.

That joke would have gone over the head of most readers not too familiar
with La Chosa in Czm.

>>It's a 6AM departure from Newark with a one hour wait and
>>aircraft change in Houston.
>
>Noooo problem!  All CO flights from EWR to ATL are form Terminal A.

Ah, I DID say "to ATL".  That was my slip, forgetting that you are
flying to IAH from there.  See my reply to Steve.  :-)

>At that hour especially, the lines will be short and there shouldn't
>be any delay at all in EWR.  Been on the ocnnection several times
>this year already.

At the ungodly hour of 6 am. there should be no long line in the
other Neward Terminals either.

>Did you mean IAH, if you're talking about ATL, you've got me confused?

Sorry about that.  It was MY Brain Fart this time.  ATL is the center
of the universe in MY flying to anywhere in the world.  :-)

>Now that I think about it, THAT trick (never ride the ISH train)
>should save you lots of time connecting in IAH.

See my comments in my reply to Steve.  He may be right about the flights
from EWR to IAH, but the train (monorail) all end up two floors below
the terminal gates, and I DO recall you would have to go through the
security check whenever you use the train.   But those were BEFORE 9/11
days.  They may have re-routed some routes, as Newark has re-routed
the security check point from Terminal C to Terminal A (to ATL) by
cutting the line from an average of 50 people long to 5 long.

>Just to make sure I understand, if you walk between terminals at IAH you do
>not need to pass through security checks between terminals, but if you take
>the shuttle train, you  have left the security perimeter and will be
required
>to go through the metal detectors and exploding shoe check again.

That was my experience, except from D (international) to C.  Then you
HAVE to go through security (either at D, up the escalator -- the
faster way, without taking the train), or take the train, and go through
the security check at the center cross of Terminal C at which the train
arrives.

>My dive buddy, and truthfully, me too, hate to check bags.  We really
>like to travel light when going to Cozumel.

We're the opposite.  We have gone to London, Paris, and Rome with only
piece of carry-ons each.  But we're loaded when we go diving.  :-)

>I don't even carry my regs and mask anymore.  No crap shot at all.  I'll
>GUARANTEE you'll get it in CZM if you get there.  :-)
>
>And how exactly do you plan on making good on that Guarantee...

I'll point you to the CO office to make you claim.  :-))

>Thanks Bob, after speaking to my friend, I think we'll try to "carry on" as
>before.

If you had told me your mind had already been made, I wouldn't have taken
your time or mine trying to convince you the other way.  The only airport
I don't trust any checked bags is Miami.

>BTW, do you have any familiarity with the Coral Princess?

No, but even if I do, I know you mind had already been made up, so why
bother?  <BG>

>After reading some Expedia reviews, sounds
>like the only downside (compared to Costa) is cabbing instead of walking
>into San Miguel.

I've heard lots of other down sides.  :0(  Also I don't know of anyone who
has dived with them.  So, perhaps your report will be a useful addition
to "tales about shops in CZM."

-- Bob.