SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:16:33 -0600
Reef Fish wrote:

> Now they have modernized it in Mexico.  The players are now sitting more
> comfortably, in GLASS booths, looking at the tourists.  You must have had
> a guilty look on your face when they decided to push the red button on
> you.  :-)

That reminds me of the time I got busted big time trying get through the
'light' with the box of t-shirts for the Coz99NEDfest!  They were
accusing me of illegally selling t-shirts without a license and
importing without proper documents... I maintained that they were gifts,
nothing more.  A few dollars 'dropped on the floor', as you put it,
would probably have solved the whole problem.  However, after investing
almost two grand in the getting the t-shirts made and lugging them
through customs, I was in no mood to spend a dime more.  Then they dug
into my bag full of plastic toy sharks, squids, and eels... I told them
that they were 'marital aids'  :-)  After that explanation we were
waived through immediately with most curious looks.

Best regards,
Russ

> >Inquiring smugglers and reef terrorists want to know?
> >:-)
>
> There you have it.  Just practice looking innocent.  Or just carry your
> bomb blatently.  :-)
*snip*

> Elsewhere, the theory that the first passenger to check-in in First Class
> is always a person "randomly selected" <G>  has much going for it based
> on my personal experience as well as observation when I deliberated avoided
> to be the first in line!  :-)))
>
> -- Bob.

I've noticed that, too.  That same 'elsewhere' that we both frequent
also suggested that the security workers are looking for easy, sweet
smiling, compliant travelers to 'inspect' and tend to avoid grumpy
looking, potentially belligerent, looking at his watch, ready to
get-in-your-face kind of travelers, or so the theory goes.  :-)  After
all, what screener wants a hassle or a fight?  However, I'm not so sure
that is the case now that the minimum wage security screeners have been
replaced by official government employees.  'Hey you!  Yea you, grumpy.
Step over here behind the curtain for additional complimentary screening
and a massage.'  :-)

Best regards,
Russ