SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:06:43 -0500
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:42:02 -0500, Timothy Doty <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>(a) There is no skill in Open Water cert that REQUIRES rescue skills.
>
>Good point... Except tired diver tows,

That was the skill I meant, which was the one discussed by others.

>oh yeah and air shares, what about
>controlled emergency accents?  The first maybe not, the second more
>emergency than rescue, the latter is self rescue.

These don't particularly depend on the physical strength of stamina
of the diver, which was the concern of many anti-10-year-old discussants.

>>(c) Finally, the ability to rescue a buddy is not of primary importance
>    to any self-sufficient diver, as I strive to be -- NEVER count on
>    having anyone to rescue me.   If they are around to do so, fine.
>    But I won't DEPEND on them.
>
>Then should they be allowed to have to depend on you?

At their own risk.  I expect my buddy NOT to expect me to be his/her
baby sitter.  Besides, most of my buddies are SOBs.  :-)  I am probably
more capable of rescuing them (if they're in sight <g>) than the other
way around.  But neither of us uses the other as a crutch, and IMHO
that best "buddy" is a self-reliant and self-sufficient buddy.

-- Bob.