SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:39:30 -0800
--- Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think your above statement is a little unfair to
> the recreational
> agencies.... they have specific skills that the
> student is REQUIRED to show competence in.
> If any student is unable to show said competence
> they are required to
> continue training till that level is reached...

I'm not an instructor, so I'm basing my comments on
observation of classes and newly graduated students.

If you are an instructor (and your comments lead me to
believe that you may be), I'd be interested in your
experiences with the part about "continue training
till that level is reached." Specifically once a weak
student finally does pass the required skills after
multiple attempts, does that student usually turn into
a good diver or would the student have been better off
just hanging it up.

Tech instructors have been known to wash out a
student, hand them their money back, and recommend
they not pursue further tech training.

Does that ever happen in rec training?

I do not mean to denigrate the rec agencies, but it is
important to recognize that they are businesses. After
all, other than a business and market share
standpoint, there was no reason for PADI and NAUI to
move into the tech market. While NAUI and PADI may
have good tech course materials, I have not heard
anybody claim that NAUI or PADI have come up with any
course improvements over what the existing tech
agencies have.

David H.