SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:18:23 -0500
 . On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:05:42 -0500 Timothy Doty wrote:

> >I have briefly looked at the PADI tech stuff on-line.
> >There is not much information about the content of the
> >courses, but it appears they are only offering "tech"
> >up to the level of what TDI calls Extended Range
> >Diver. That is basically depths to 165 feet with
> >decompression and gas switching. This is kind of a
> >transition zone to tech diving, though PADI may plan
> >to phase in additional courses over time.
>
> That is correct.  The course is to 165 with deco and gas switching.  They
> also talk alot about gas switching in a multi-level dive to stay out of
> deco...
>
> I beleive PADI does plan on phasing in additional courses.  This program is
> about 2 years old, less than a year ago the started a gas blender program
> that includes trimix.  My thinking is that was preparing for other courses.
> This is no more than a guess and I have nothing else to base it on.
>
> >I am encouraged that PADI is requiring their tech
> >instructors to have substantial experience and to have
> >assisted with some tech courses before becoming a tech
> >instructor.
> >(http://www.padi.com/courses/tecrec/TecDeepInstr.asp)
>
> An instructor has to assist in 2 courses before being certified as a tech
> instructor.  If memory serves me right they have to have 27?? multistage
> deco dives as well.  Is this alot?  Is that what you would(generaly
> speaking) call "substantial experience"?

The PADI requirements are:
Upon successfully completing the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor training
course, before sending the application to your PADI Office, you must
meet the following criteria:
Be a renewed PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer or PADI Instructor with a
higher rating.
Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor.
Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor.
Be certified as a DSAT Tec Deep Diver (or equivalent). (This may be part
of the Tec Deep Instructor training course).
Have assisted with at least two DSAT Tec Deep Diver courses or one
Apprentice Tec Diver course and one Tec Deep Diver course. (Completing
the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor training course credits you as having
assisted with an Apprentice Tec Diver course.)
Have a minimum of 270 dives logged, with at least 25 stage decompression
dives that had a maximum depth deeper than 40 metres/130 feet.
Have certified a total of ten or more PADI Deep Divers and/or PADI
Enriched Air Divers. Any combination that totals ten in acceptable.
Have successfully completed the Tec Deep Instructor Standards Exam and
the Tec Deep Instructor Theory and Practical Application Exam. (This is
usually part of the Tec Deep Instructor training course).
Meet the peer review waterskill requirements listed on the DSAT Tec Deep
Instructor Application through the attesting signature of a DSAT Tec
Deep Instructor or a PADI Instructor with an equivalent rating. (This is
usually handled by the instructor trainer during the Tec Deep Instructor
training course).

Those requirements will ensure that the Instructor has a good level of
experience and training in my view....

> >My thoughts on important qualities for a tech
> >instructor:
>
> >2) Uses the agency materials as a reference, but
> >teaches mostly from their own experience and knowledge
> >(In tech diving you mostly learn from planning,
> >performing, and analyzing the dives),
>
> I doubt PADI will go for that, they are pretty ridged with their course
> material.  Although I do see a little free rein in the tech program.
>
> >3) Is willing to turn down students who may meet the
> >paper qualifications, if the instructor believes the
> >student is not ready for tech type diving, and
>
> What do you think about PADI's paper qualifications?
>
> >4) Is willing to fail students, even if it causes a
> >financial loss.
>
> I think this should be true for recreational as well

It is... if they don't meet standards they don't pass.

Michael
--
Divers know the true meaning of peace of mind.