SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:50:05 -0500
 . On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:46:41 -0500 Steve Weigold wrote:

> Your "second adult" is, from what I can tell, a personal restriction (albeit
> a wise one), not one dictated by the certifying agency.  Since this would be

I am certainly not one who likes more regulation... I am a proponent of
self regulation and that is a key view that I teach.
Never be afraid to be the only one in the group deciding not to do the
dive is one key point I like make.

> the exception, not the rule, I'd be inclined not to certify a child not
> capable of being a fully functioning buddy.

Being a proponent of the idea that each diver should be their own best
buddy... if the child completes the requirements I see no reason they
should not be certified along with any adult who meets the same criteria.
Just because the child cannot lift me ashore is no reason they should
fail.... now I would dive with others who could or in diver populated
site were I to have your concerns.

> Perhaps if "certifying" a child not capable of being the "only" buddy is
> needed, then maybe we need a new class of cert that provides for two adults
> as in your configuration above.

Again... I don't agree with your suggested requirement that the initial
certified junior diver must be able to rescue a larger buddy/individual
that they may be diving with. If that is a concern add someone with that
ability to the group, don't deny the junior diver a certification if
they meet all the open water skill requirements.

Of course to be certified as a junior rescue diver they must among other
activities be able to:
Demonstrate with minimal assistance, the
application of inwater resuscitation, egress
and appropriate first aid procedures as a
single integrated activity under realistic
conditions.

Michael
--
Divers know the true meaning of peace of mind.